September 4, 2010

UFC champ St. Pierre: 'Hardy is no martial artist'

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, often referred to as GSP, is eager to stamp on Dan Hardy in their much-anticipated fight on Saturday (Sunday, Manila time).

St-Pierre, the reigning 170-pound champion, has not been beaten in his past 6 fights and is confident that he will win against the heavy-handed Hardy.

St-Pierre claims Hardy will get a dose of reality on UFC 111 that airs this weekend.
“I'm a martial artist, he's not... he probably doesn't understand the meaning of this,” said a grim faced St-Pierre in a video documentary for UFC 111.

“After the fight, I guarantee, he will [understand],” added the Canadian fighter.
St-Pierre's last defeat was with Matt Serra in 2007, when he was troubled by lack of focus due to personal problems. He avenged the loss a year later and has never lost a fight since.

Still, he is not taking any chances.
“I'm in the same situation that I was when I lost to Matt Serra, and this thing is still in my mind,” said St-Pierre. “No matter how people tell me how great I am, one mistake and I’ll lose everything.”
'Nothing to lose'

His outspoken opponent in the mixed martial arts (MMA) fight, however, seemed unaffected by the pressure of fighting against one of the best MMA warriors in recent years.

“The key to win against GSP is to not be afraid of GSP. My only focus is to focus on the fight as often as possible,” said Hardy, who hails from Nottingham, United Kingdom.

Compared to St-Pierre, the British fighter said he doesn’t have to deal with the burden of defending a title and maintaining an almost perfect stature in the MMA world.

"The thing that makes a person dangerous is having nothing to lose," said Hardy. "I have nothing to lose. And he has everything."

Upon entering UFC in 2008, the Nottingham native has zoomed to 4 straight wins.
The Octagon clash between St-Pierre and Hardy will take place the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

0 comments:

Comments